I am utterly ashamed of myself that we grew up to be typical Singaporeans. In a more layman term, we won't do anything unless we benefit from it.
I was sort of being approached by this man (Singaporean- Japanese) who claimed to be a cop. My mind kind of went blank at that moment. I was trying to recall things I did that was illegal but there was obviously none! After showing me his warrant, he talked to me about a different thing; totally worlds apart and has got nothing to do with the police force. He told me about his hobby as a film maker and said that he wanted me to help him to play a character in his short film. It will just be a small film which he hopes to be part of his portfolio for his future venture into the film industry in Shanghai. He told me that he can remunerate me if I'm willing to help him. So I listened.
So after showing me some of his films, he asked me to meet him the next day to discuss further. Seeing it as an opportunity to earn some spare cash, I agreed.
So today I met him for dinner and the whole conversation was AWKWARD. Before I met him, I was thinking that it could be a scam. But, he really had a FB group about his picture house. So I trust that to be his passion. He was trying to find common hobbies between us and trying to establish a "friendship". On the other end, I was quite straightforward and hostile (as if I was really there for business). I couldn't see where he was coming from and the whole conversation was very unclear. I BEATED AROUND THE BUSH and finally got to the part on remuneration. It was awkward to ask because he would not be earning from this film so if he pays me, he'll be taking money out from his pocket. And it was really weird because he didn't tell me about the amount till I asked, "so how much do you usually pay strangers to act for you?" I had to lead him from many questions ahead to this. I hinted SO HARD but he just didn't get it. He kept telling me, "you can ask for any amount you're comfortable with. Money is not an issue here." BUT money is an issue for me lah... Give me too little, I will not bother. I also won't ask for too much because he's not a business man. Anyway, the amount he quoted is more than 10 times I can earn by being a promoter so it's really GOOD money.
Nevertheless, I felt utterly ashamed as I was only able to talk to him in a more friendlier manner after I know that he will be paying me for that. Crap. I think he can sense it lah. In his mind, he'ld probably be thinking what a typical singaporean I am. I told him that I won't help him unless I have a benefit or that he is my friend but, he isn't. So after he talked to me about money, he said, "we're friends right?" I was like.. "ya.." WTF... I have never witnessed such a materialistic and realistic side of me. I could TOTALLY sense my change in attitude towards him. So to neutralise it a bit, I asked if he could teach me japanese. And he joked about charging me $50/ hour and I went "sure. =)" This is just to make myself feel better and self-psycho myself that he is also very realistic and materialistic. But the truth is, I am the one.
However, on hind sight, I don't see anything wrong with that. We, humans, are selfish creatures. I told him that he is a stranger to me. Why should I help him? Besides that, if I don't get anything out of it, even if I agree to help him at no cost, I will also do it half-heartedly hence it will only be a lose-lose situation. Gosh, I think I sounded hostile but this is the reality. So with that, I think we had a deal.
I checked out his facebook account and I think, he's quite a weird guy. Hopefully, this is not a plot by some evil people out to scam me.